11.30.2008

Onward and Upward.....

Do ever feel like no matter how hard you push or how fast you run you will simply never get there? i struggle with this feeling of insufficiency often. Then i was reading God's Word today and I stumbled across Philippians 3. I particularly zoned in on verses 12-16 Here Paul writes this:

"2 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you. 16 Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule,[a] let us be of the same mind."


I also like The Message paraphrase version too:

"2-14I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.
15-16So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it."


When we look at ourselves it is so easy to zone in on everything that we lack, but here Paul tells us to not worry about. Keep our eyes on the goal. I love how Paul admits to his own imperfections here. I often find myself looking with envy at the people around. I think man, why can't i be where they are in their faith? Today i am sitting here asking God to help me change my perspective and realize that I am right where I need to be. I know that if I continue to look backwards eventually I will trip but when I look forward the road looks painfully long. I know everybody has been there so you know how hard it is not to be discouraged. God has placed such a path before christians that we either have to be "totally committed" or not at all. It's hard to just be 100% committed to God's will. Very hard but that's how it has to be if we really want to impact the world for Christ. The more I seek God, the more I put Him first, the more I can see His vision and will for my life and that brings me hope. Then the road doesn't seem so long or so hard. I think the message here is to keep on keepin on and just commit yourself to the vision that God gives you no matter how difficult or far off.

No comments:

Post a Comment