1.09.2011

humanity to divinity

The other day I was commenting on a blog over at Revolution115 and I said: "God takes our ordinary humanity and infuses it with His extraordinary divinity". It was one of those statements that made me pause and think. I have to give credit to God for it, because I really am not smart enough to say something that profound on my own. It stuck in my head and as I began to chew on it, I decided I should try to expound on it.

Think about all the people you know from the Bible, even if you don't know their whole story or even their whole name. I would bet you that person was really nobody special at first. Look at people like Moses, David, Paul, Mary, or any of the Apostles. All regular people. Some of them were even considered evil by our standards. So, why do we remember them? The simple answer is that we remember them because of what God did with/through them, not really for any reasons that have to do with the person.



Many people in the Bible were extremely ordinary, but the God took their ordinary and made it extraordinary. I believe that this is what God wants to do in us. Apart from God, we are just people surviving until we die, purposeless and depraved. When we give our humanity over to God, He infuses it with His divinity. When we are living for God we find that we have purpose, hope for eternity, and we find that the impossible is possible. There will never be a book of Emily in the Bible, but God wants to use me that same way He did the people in the Bible. Remember that Jesus said:

" 12I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father." John 14:12-13

The New Testament days were not the end of God's miracles and purpose, it was the beginning. We are the continuation of what Jesus started. He even tells us that we will see even greater things. I believe that's true, not because we're so special, but because our God is so extraordinary. We are part of the story that God is writing.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Thx for the mention. GREAT thoughts. You're definitely on to something here; we ALL get to play because of GOD & his grace, not because of US! Or me... as the case may be. Two thoughts: Eph. 2:8-10, 2 Peter 1:3-4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally got some time to go read those verses, THX Brian. I <3 Eph and that verse is just so awesome. When I read it, all I can think of is how awesome God is. So humbling and so empowering at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete