2.14.2011

Humanity at my door

Today I heard a knock at my front door. I opened it to find this guy who was pretty rough. He was older, didn't speak well, and looked like he hadn't seen a shower in a while. He proceeded to tell me that he has mental problems and he has no money, etc. In my usual business I just kind of stared at him with my "OK, get to the point" face (I was pretty sure he was going to ask me for money). He then said "I don't want any money, but can you feed me something?"
My heart just sank and I nearly started to crying, because I realized that even though I'm a pretty compassionate person,
I was standing there judging him. He doesn't even have food to eat and I'm standing there wearing my Queen B**** face wondering when I can move on with my day.

I felt like poo. Now If he did ask me for money, I would have still given him some, I always do. But what I realized was that my heart wouldn't have been right about it. I wouldn't have been giving him money because I cared and I genuinely wanted to show him God's love but because I know it's the right thing to do and I'd feel guilty if I didn't.

Feeling like a complete ass I asked him to wait a minute and I rushed into my kitchen to gather all the portable food I could find. I think I handed him most of the food in my cabinets, including my own lunch, before he went on his way.

As I'm sitting here wondering what the lesson is the Lord led me to Proverbs 31:8-9:
8 Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
   for the rights of all who are destitute.
9 Speak up and judge fairly;
   defend the rights of the poor and needy. 


In the world today social justice is a big thing, and I love that about the Modern Church, but I think we need to examine what that really means and do we take things far enough? Sure we do our outreaches, we give to the poor, but do we stand up for them? Do we recognize the humanity that is digging through our dumpster and seek to defend their right to exist even if we don't understand/agree with their life choices?

I know many of us do, but it's easy to get jaded, especially when you live in an urban area, so let's not forget why we do what we do. I'm so blessed by the man who reminded me of this today. Thank you Jesus for keeping my heart in check.

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend that lives near you & they had almost the same experience. Sounds like possibly the same man?? He told them about his mental problems and when he was done, they gave him food and asked if they could pray with him. He was so sad - said that his old church told him he was going to hell because he was schizophrenic. They assured him this was not the case and then spent some time encouraging him. Looks like he is hungry in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete