7.29.2011

Googling through life

Back in the olden days of the internet- ya know like around 1999ish, I used search engines for school and typically to look up encyclopedia-type stuff. I used to log on to Dogpile (10 points if you remember that site) and type in president names so I could write some lame report and that was pretty much the extent of my search engine usage.

However, I find myself now typing everything in to Google. I have this handy little tool bar and it's like it beckons me: "ask me anything. I will give you the answer". Like most people I freely will ask Google about anything from my kids fevers to what tv I should buy, but today I was wondering if we take things to far? And by "we", I mean "me".


I was joking around about this with a friend of mine and she said "yeah, I use it for everything. I even typed in "should I have a fourth child" on it once." At first, I thought she was kidding, but she wasn't. She really went to Google to seek advice on weather or not she should have 3 kids or 4!? It made me realize that I have the same weakness. In the last year I have search "where to go on vacation", "best 55in LED TV", "how to make your kids eat", and countless others that I can't remember now. I figured out I probably Google things about 20 times a day- heck most of the things I know how to do, I learned how to do by googling them.

It makes me wonder how many choices I've made based on the information Google has given me. It's very SkyNet :P

I feel a little ashamed of my Google habit but I know I'm not the only one. So I wonder what would happen if Google went away. How would we find information? The library maybe? I dunno just a silly observation :)

No comments:

Post a Comment