8.10.2012

Helping when it hurts

There's a great book called "When Helping Hurts". It's about how we, as christians, help people. To sumarize it poorly, it talks about how sometimes our wonderful intentions can end up creating dependancy and actually hurt the very people we seek to help in the long term. It's a good book to read if you're someone involved in missions- local or otherwise.

Recent events have really made me think about this concept but, not in terms of the needy we help. What about those that do the helping? There is a fine line between being generous and being taken advantage of. Sometimes the line dissappears altogether and those two qualities become intermingled and morph into something unhealthy. These things become even blurrier when we consider what the Bible says about giving. The Bible talks countless times about living generously and being willing to part with whatever we have.

I've always been the kind of girl that would give now and think later. I really can't help myself and it's a trait I've had forever. When I was a little girl if my friend didn't have a barbie, I'd give them my favorite one. If I saw an abandon bird, I'd sneak it into my room even if I knew it was surely not going to survive. As an adult I'm no different. If my friend needs money, I'll give them my last $5. If someone is without a home, I'll give them the run of mine. For whatever reason, I'd rather give a hungry person my last bowl of rice and starve than watch someone suffer from hunger. Now I know this all sounds very heroic, but I don't think it is. Really, I have never given any of this much thought until recently.

While I know this isn't a "bad" trait, life is teaching me that this can be a harmful trait especially when laced with over trust and innocence. Over the course of the last few years especially, I have allowed myself to be taken advantage of, cheated, deceived, and flat out mistreated all out of my own desire to help people. My husband has pointed out to me many times that I am a totally sucker, basically. I don't say no. I always trust people, even after they give me reason not to. And I am drawn to people and situations that suck me dry like a moth to the proverbial flame.

I like giving everything away, but I don't to like feel abused and abandon after I've given it all. I don't like where I am at today, feeling disenchanted and disconnected.

I know I'm sounding bitter, but I'm not or at least I don't want to be. I just wonder who helps the helpers? I can honestly say that I've rarely experienced times of need when someone has really helped me or my family in a tangible way. Of course, God ALWAYS comes through, but it's usually by something crazy miraculous.

Maybe I just need more people in my life who are like me and my hubby or maybe we just need to guard ourselves and look out for ourselves better. Maybe this is just part of sacrifice? I really REALLY don't know. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts- please no cheesy, text book answers ;)

2 comments:

  1. I think the way you describe yourself is far more Christian than the book. I have read When Helping Hurts and I have read the Bible. Making people dependent/interdependent on Jesus is a good thing. Independence is not in the Bible, that is American history.

    Making yourself vulnerable to others... That is just what Jesus does. He endures abuse and says if youwant to be his disciple you must pick up your cross and follow...

    I think trust and innocence is the Plan A of Christian ministry. There is no plan B.

    I hope you will keep trusting and return evil with good. Conquer evil with good. Love enemies and abusers. Lose your life to gain it. ... You know... the Jesus stuff.

    Blessings from Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. 免費午夜秀視頻聊天室
    午夜免費視訊聊天室
    大尺度真人秀場聊天室
    韓國美女主播視訊聊天室
    視頻啪啪免費聊天室
    奇摩女孩免費視訊聊天室
    美女秀場裸聊直播間
    美女視頻直播秀房間
    台灣免費視頻裸聊室
    主播免費祼聊聊天室
    28聊視頻聊天室玫瑰情人網同城聊天室北京富婆聊天室夜成人淫片免費視訊美女ing
    台灣甜心女孩聊天室真人秀視頻同城視頻約炮聊天室午夜劇場 美女成人版外國免費視訊
    色聊天室網站一夜情言情小說聊性的貼吧台灣色b破解午夜成人av在線電影173免費視訊聊天
    色聊聊天室女子學院1夜情視頻真人午夜裸聊直播間成人午夜情色小說外國免費視訊網址
    色聊女的QQ夜色伊甸園交友網秀色直播間台灣色b網站破解午夜戀愛視頻聊天免費視訊一絲不掛

    ReplyDelete